Canon Collective and Heron Island Resort have created a Tropical Escape for photographers that are look for an underwater adventure. Heron Island is a World Heritage listed coral cay, located in the pristine waters of the southern Great Barrier Reef. A nature-lovers paradise with an abundance of wildlife both above and below the water. You are invited to join us for an event for photographers looking for an underwater experience that is specifically aimed at snorkelers, including access to Canon's G1X Mark III and underwater housing. Your host, Greg Sullavan will also have a range of Aquatech underwater housings and cameras available for the more experienced photographers. We can expect to see plenty of turtles, sharks, rays and tropical fish that call the iconic coral reefs and white sandy beaches home. We are expecting great visibility in October with water temperatures around 24 degrees.
Divers are welcome, with equipment and dive packages available for hire through the Heron Island Dive Centre.
• 4 x Nights Accommodation
• Daily & Dinner daily
• Snorkel Equipment
• Return Ferry between Gladstone & Heron Island
• 2 x Half Day Private Snorkel Boat Tours
• 1 x Sunset Cruise
• Wilson Island Day Trip
Heron Island is located off the coast of Gladstone in Queensland, approximately 500km north of Brisbane. As domestic travel restrictions begin to ease, there should be flights available to Gladstone from most capital cities. The 'Heron Islander' ferry departs from Gladstone Marina at 9:30am, Monday 19th of October and returns around 3pm on Friday 23rd of October. Based on the availability of flights, please consider staying in Gladstone on Sunday the 18th to ensure you are ready at the Marina two hours prior to departure. There is a free bus transfer available to and from the airport that can be booked via the reservations desk at Heron Island. Check this link to learn more about getting there: https://www.heronisland.com/stay/getting-here
*Please note: Competent swimming ability and sound fitness levels are recommended.
COVID-safe event conditions:
Please note that by booking this workshop you agree to the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all participants and of our team. This includes:
• Adhering to a maximum number of persons (inclusive of your Collective Ambassador) as per government advice
• Maintaining 1.5m social distancing at all times – applicable between Ambassadors and all guests
• Learning outcomes will be provided by verbal explanation. Canon Collective Ambassadors will be unable to handle your cameras or review results on the LCD screen.
• Access to hand sanitiser during the event
• Wiping down / sanitisation of all shared gear
Who should not attend?
• Anyone feeling unwell or awaiting COVID-19 test results
• Anyone who has travelled overseas within the last 14 days
• Anyone who has been in contact with any known positive COVID-19 person within the last 14 days
• Anyone at “greater risk of serious infection” as described by the Australian Government as follows:
- people aged 70 years and over
- people aged 65 years and over with chronic medical conditions
- people with a compromised immune system
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples 50 years and older with one or more chronic medical conditions
By booking an event, you agree to cooperate with all requirements and confirm you do not fall within one of the above listed categories. If your situation changes between booking your event and the day of the event, please do not attend and reschedule your place by contacting us.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please choose carefully. Except where otherwise indicated, we do not offer refunds unless an event has to be cancelled, rescheduled to a date you cannot attend, or where required under Australian Consumer Law. View the Terms of Registration.
Canon G1 X Mark III and WPDC56 underwater housing, Underwater photography basics, Nature Photography, Adobe Lightroom workflow, Edit to Print
Notepad and pen, Laptop, charger, mouse, mousepad, External Drive, correctly formatted and ready to use, Card Reader, Adobe Lightroom Classic - Latest Version, Series of RAW images ready to import & edit on an SD card. Canon Collective will have the following equipment available; G1 X Mark III and WPDC56; Aquatech underwater housings for experienced photographers; Variety of Canon cameras and lenses; PIXMA PRO 100 printer.
Meeting 2pm at the Wistari Room, Monday 19th of October 2020. Make your own arrangements to the Gladstone Marina, at Bryan Jordan Drive, by 8:00am on Monday the 19th of October, 2020. Flights to Gladstone should become available from most capital cities with Qantas. If you are driving, you can pre-book a secure car lock-up spot by calling Compleat Angler on 07 4972 7283, available for $12 AUD per day for a covered car park, or $10 AUD per day for an uncovered spot.
Please note that by booking this workshop you agree to the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all participants and of our team. Please see COVID-safe event conditions above. This is mostly an outdoor event that involves water based activities. There is an expectation that guests will be competent swimmers with moderate fitness levels. If unsure, please seek advice from your doctor. Heron Island recommends all guests have suitable levels of Travel Insurance.