Your Info, In Focus
WHY do we collect personal Information?
We need to collect and use personal information to run our business – to do things like:
- fulfil orders for goods and services.
- hire out photographic equipment, photographic studios and creative workspace.
- operate our online stores, and other online services.
- provide commercial credit and finance.
- provide training, product, and service information.
- manage customer and other business relationships.
- deal with inquiries and feedback.
- improve our products and services.
- conduct events, promotions, competitions, and research.
- promote and market our company, products and services.
- understand our customers and community and tailor our products, services, marketing, offers, invitations, and communications to suit their needs; and
- recruit staff and manage contractors.
WHAT kinds of personal information do we collect?
- We collect personal information about our consumer customers, business contacts, newsletter subscribers, competition entrants, job applicants, and others. Depending on the circumstances, we may collect their names and contact details, and information about their:
- ◦ transactions with us,
- ◦ use of our products and services.
- ◦ subscription preferences.
- ◦ interests and skill levels.
- ◦ participation in events, promotions and competitions we organise.
- ◦ job applications; and
- ◦ other interactions and communications with us.
- We may collect financial, credit-related and identity verification information about people to provide them or related entities with commercial credit or finance (for more details in Australia see our Credit Reporting Policy), lend equipment or hire out space to them, operate product trade in programs, or to comply with legislation like anti-money laundering laws and counter-terrorism laws.
- We collect information about how people use our digital properties (including websites, social media sites, apps and electronic communications) and third party websites (digital interactions). Also, if people share an image with us, we may collect the metadata (such as camera details and geolocation data) attached to that image (image metadata). Usually the digital interactions data and image metadata we collect is anonymous. However, where a person signs up for one of our services (such as MyCanon, subscriptions, competitions, etc.) we may link their digital interactions data and image metadata (past and future) to them. We may also attribute and add to such data-anonymised data from third party sources, such as consumer analytic data from data aggregators. In that case we will treat all such data as personal information.
- We provide opportunities for people to share additional information with us if they wish, such as product wish lists, imaging interests, experience level, preferences, product reviews, and social network profiles.
Let’s be DIRECT about direct marketing
We know this is the one people worry about.
We will only send direct marketing communications to people if we have their consent, or the law otherwise permits. We may use any personal information we have collected about a person to tailor those communications to reflect their needs.
We will always provide a simple way to opt out of any direct marketing from us.
WHO do we usually disclose personal information? Are we likely to disclose it to anyone overseas?
We need to share some personal information we hold with other businesses to enable them to help us with services like data storage, business processes, deliveries and so on. Some of those businesses are based in America, Europe, Japan, and the Philippines. We only disclose what is necessary for them to do their job, and they are contractually obliged to keep your details safe.
HOW do we protect personal information?
We know how important it is to keep personal information secure, so we have a range of processes in place, including:
- using secure servers and other appropriate measures to protect electronic data;
- measures to control internal access, such as policies, physical access restrictions, network structures, passwords and access tracking.
- secure third party online payment methods.
- And when information isn’t needed anymore, we’ll make sure it gets destroyed, deleted or de-identified.
HOW can I get in touch about my personal information?
If we hold personal information about you, you have rights to access it and/or ask us to correct it if it’s wrong. All you need to do is contact our Privacy Officer.
Please also contact our Privacy Officer if you have any concerns or complaints about how we’ve handled your personal information. He/she will investigate and respond in writing as quickly as possible. If you’re not satisfied after that, it’s your right under the privacy legislation to lodge a complaint
Here’s how you can reach our Privacy Officer:
This policy may be updated from time to time.
Last updated: February 18th, 2022