Thank you for using Canon products.
Firmware Version 184.108.40.206 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Adds support for the XF-AVC recording modes.
[4K UHD] 3840×2160 25P
[FHD] 1920x1080 50i / 50p / 25p
2. Adds [Custom Picture] modes that enables detailed image settings.
3. Expand assignable features to assign buttons.
– Please use a commercially available SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card that is 512MB or more for the firmware update
– Firmware version 220.127.116.11 is for updating XA40 cameras running firmware version 18.104.22.168. If your camera's firmware is already version 22.214.171.124, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version
– Do not [Transfer Data/CP] data between different firmware. Transferred settings may not operate normally.
Preparations for a firmware update:
After the firmware update has been performed, the camera's menu settings will be reset. It is recommended that users save their menu settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the SD card that will be used to carry out the update, before starting update operations. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the unit's Instruction Manual titled "Saving and Loading Camera Settings".
The downloaded folder contains the firmware (file name: VPB1.FIM / file size: 16,711,708 bytes), and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully confirm your understanding of these instructions.
The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
1. An XA40 camcorder
2. A computer (OS requirements: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.15)
3. SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card with a capacity of 512 MB or more (commercially available)
4. An SD card reader/writer (commercially available) or an SD card slot built into the computer
5. A fully charged battery pack for the camera
6. Compact power adapter bundled with the camera
7. The firmware (the downloaded file from Canon website. See link below)
• XA40 Firmware Download Link