Thank you for using Canon products.
This firmware update (Version 220.127.116.11) incorporates the following improvements.
- Fixes image quality degradation, such as color misalignment or edge distortion, may occur in the recorded footage when using the following combination of settings:
• recording format XF-AVC
• frame rate 59.94i / 50.00i
• 1920x1080 resolution
- Fixes a white balance error that may occur when using Auto mode or a Special Scene mode* depending on usage conditions.
*Portrait/Sports/Night Scene/Snow/Low Light/Spotlight
- Improves the focus tracking accuracy during zoom operations.
• Please use a commercially available SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card that is 64MB or more for the firmware update.
• Firmware version 18.104.22.168 is for updating XF405 / XF400
cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.x – 1.0.1.x. If your camera's firmware is already version 1.0.2.x, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
Preparations for a firmware update:
After the firmware update has been performed, the camera's menu settings will be reset. It is recommended that users save their menu settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the one that will be used to carry out the update, before starting update operations. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the unit's Instruction Manual titled "Saving and Loading Camera Settings".
The downloaded folder contains the firmware (file name: VNA2.FIM / file size: 29,818,912 bytes), and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully confirm your understanding of these instructions.
The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
XF405 / XF400 Firmware Download Link
- An XF405 or XF400 camcorder
- A computer (OS requirements: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.13)
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card with a capacity of 64 MB or more (commercially available)
- An SD card reader/writer (commercially available) or an SD card slot built into the computer
- A fully charged battery pack for the camera
- Compact power adapter bundled with the camera
- The firmware (the downloaded file from Canon website. See link below)