Celebrating the production milestone of 140 million EF and RF lenses , Canon today reaffirms its commitment to the innovative new EOS R System and RF Mount with the announcement of six full-frame lenses under development. For release in 2019, the new additions will take the total number of RF lenses available to 10 by year-end. Redefining the possibilities of photography and videography, Canon’s innovative EOS R System and existing RF portfolio of lenses provides the tools for users to enhance their skills and shoot creatively, without limitations.
The RF Mount – built from the ground up
Built from the ground up, the EOS R System and RF Mount takes the heritage of the existing EOS System to new heights, offering even greater levels of performance, lens design possibilities and creative flexibility.
Launched in September 2018, the RF lens mount enables a radical new optical design, allowing large lens elements to be placed as near to the sensor as possible, allowing light to hit the sensor straight on. The RF Mount enhances communication and power transmission between the lens and camera body, as well as helping to achieve the world’s fastest autofocus speed for a full frame mirrorless camera system.
The mount’s short back focus and wide 54mm mount diameter has made it possible for Canon optical engineers to have unprecedented freedom to create a new generation of optics. The result is an ideal balance between size reduction, high image quality and high-spec performance.
Six lenses – shoot your own way
Six full-frame RF lenses are currently in development, suiting the needs of every user from advanced amateurs, to professional photographers and videographers. Building on Canon’s optical lens heritage, this range of lenses will push forward the frontiers of creative capture thanks to the new, cutting-edge optics and advanced image processing for both stills and video:
• The RF 85mm F1.2L USM is a large aperture mid-telephoto prime lens, offering the ultimate performance for advanced and professional portrait photographers.
• The RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS, with Defocus Smoothing, is a unique high-performance lens, offering a combination of beautifully smooth, defocused foreground and background bokeh and a super-fast aperture to produce breathtaking portraits.
• The RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM is a high-performance, standard zoom lens for professionals and photo enthusiasts alike – ideal for shooting portraits, landscapes, documentary or weddings. Offering a wide angle and fast aperture in a single package
• The RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM is ideal for a range of genres including architecture, interiors or landscapes.
• The RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, is a must-have for any professional photographer shooting weddings, sport or wildlife. This lens is a great all-round, high-speed, medium telephoto zoom lens.
• The RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM is the perfect travel companion – practical in both size and performance. It is a versatile all-purpose lens for the advanced amateur photographer or videographer offering a range of focal lengths for capturing extraordinary shots.
“Just a few months ago, Canon unveiled the innovative EOS R system – the result of rethinking the future of photography and videography from the ground up,” says Jason McLean, Director – Consumer Imaging, Canon Australia. “With this announcement today, we are building on our proud lens heritage and firmly committing to our new RF Mount, which will allow photographers and videographers to rethink the creative potential now available to them through our pioneering full-frame system.”
Adding to the full-frame family: EOS RP
Further expanding the EOS R System, Canon today also launches the EOS RP – ideal for those looking to take a step-up from Canon’s APS-C models into Canon’s full-frame world. It is compact, lightweight and versatile. Ideal for travel, landscape and portrait photography and videography, the EOS RP opens up the full spectrum of benefits of the EOS R System – including the world’s fastest autofocus – and as Canon’s smallest, lightest full frame digital camera to date it provides the ultimate blend of practicality and ease of use, with impressive image quality.
Promising greater potential, advanced amateur photographers and videographers can use the EOS RP to enhance their technical skills and explore their creativity. Additionally, three lens mount adapters allow more than 70 current EF and EF-S lenses to be used with the EOS RP and the innovative EOS R System, adding new functionality to existing optics, while maintaining the excellent levels of performance and functionality previously seen with EOS DSLRs.